Jane Order Scholarship
Thanks to the generosity of the Androus Foundation, under the watchful eye of our WFTGA President Emeritus Deborah Androus and her family, the Jane Orde Scholarship Fund will again support working tourist guides to attend our biennial international gathering, the 2021 WFTGA Convention in Novi Sad.
Created in 2003 the Jane Orde Scholarship helps tourist guides who are active in their local associations, and based in countries listed under Tiers 3, 4 and 5, in accordance with our membership fee payment tiers or bands. The award only finances part of the costs of attending a WFTGA Convention. Applicants must therefore demonstrate that they have other financial support in cash or in kind from tourism partners in their own localities in order to attend.
The Scholarship is named in honour of Jane Orde who was elected the second President of the WFTGA during our 2nd International Convention in Vienna in 1987. She encouraged professional training for guides and the development of the International Tourist Guide Day. The WFTGA logo – the hand of friendship and the hand of guidance stretched across the world – was also designed during Jane‘s presidency. Jane was awarded Honorary Membership of the Cyprus Tourist Guides Association, Honorary Membership of the Scottish Tourist Guide Association and a Life Fellowship of the Guild of Registered Tourist Guides. She died in 2000, and the very first recipients of the award attended the 2003 WFTGA Convention in Dunblane. They came from Guatemala and Gambia. Since then our successful Jane Orde Scholars have come from Egypt, Jordan, India, Mozambique, Malaysia, Thailand, Brazil, Peru, Georgia, Ukraine, Argentina, Bhutan, Bahamas, Barbados, Philippines, Uruguay and Uzbekistan.
2021 will see us celebrating the 20th Anniversary of this Scholarship Program. We look forward to welcoming our successful candidate to Novi Sad, Serbia.
The Jane Orde Scholarship was created to assist Tourist Guides to attend the WFTGA International Conventions. Once again, the Androus Foundation and colleagues will offer the Jane Orde Scholarship to assist a Tourist Guide in participating in our 19th WFTGA Convention in Novi Sad, Serbia, 3-7 February 2021.
The Jane Orde Scholarship supports Tourist Guides in countries in Tiers 3, 4 and 5 based on the International Monetary Fund listing of Tiers, as used by the WFTGA for our membership fee bands.
The award only finances part of the costs involved in attending a WFTGA Convention. The applicants must therefore demonstrate that they have other financial support in cash or in kind (for example flights), usually through sponsorship from tourism partners in their own localities. Flights and visa costs do not form part of the Scholarship fund.
- Applicants must be working, qualified Tourist Guides, active in their local associations.
- Applicants must belong to a country listed under Tiers 3, 4 or 5
- Applicants must fully complete and submit the application form with all supporting documents
(incomplete applications will not be accepted)
- Applicants must meet all relevant deadlines
- Applicants must have a valid passport (or be prepared to apply for one in time for the Convention at
their own expense)
- Applicants must cover relevant Visa costs (if applicable) at their own expense and in time for the
- Applicants must cover all relevant flight costs.
- Applicants must be prepared to travel on the required dates in order to attend the Convention in
February 2021 in Novi Sad, Serbia.
- If shortlisted, the Applicant must be available for further questions and interviews
- The Applicant must agree to attend the Convention if their application is approved
- The Applicant must agree to represent their Association and Country in a professional manner at all times
- The Applicant must agree to produce a post-Convention Report by April 2021.
- The Applicant must agree to share the experiences and information gained during the Convention with
fellow Tourist Guides in their own country and their Associations.
- Complete the application form in full
- Attach all relevant information as requested (incomplete applications will not be considered)
- Submit the completed form and documents by no later than 01st August 2020
- All completed applications will be processed according to WFTGA policies and procedures
- A shortlist of candidates will be contacted by 15th September 2020
- If you have not heard from the WFTGA, your application was unfortunately unsuccessful
- Shortlisted candidates may be subject to an interview via Skype or questions via email by the selection
- The successful candidate to be awarded the Jane Orde Scholarship will be announced on Friday
10th October 2020
- All decisions are final and no further correspondence will be entered into